Thursday, February 14, 2008

My Mother

Well, today is the 14th day of the month. My mother passed away a year and 7 months ago today. Some days it seems like yesterday and some days it seems like it's been forever.

My mother was loved by all who knew her. Once you met my mother for the first time, it was like you had known her forever. She was one of those people who loved people. A stranger was only someone who she hadn't met before. She was a great cook and blessed so many with her cooking. If we had 10 people for dinner and everyone had a favorite meat, dessert, or vegetable, she would make several kinds of everything so that everyone had their favorite. Anyone was invited and welcomed. I can remember calling her and telling her that a bunch of friends were going to be coming over and she would get up and cook for all of us....even if it was midnight. She would work all night at Dodson's Cafeteria on the holidays making turkeys, pies, dressing, and gravy and then come home and make deserts and candies and dinner for all those people who loved her cooking. She always thought of others before herself.

As my mother's health began to fail, she moved in with us and lived with us for 4 years. Steve was such a good son-in-law. He gave up his recliner and his remote. (Guess that's why he won't share now). He took such good care of her. We eventually had to put her in a Re-hab/Nursing Center. My family sacrificed so much. I would go by the Nursing Home almost every day and talk to her 3 to 4 times a day. Needless to say, I miss her so much. I am so thankful for spending all the time that I did with her, and I have no regrets. It was so hard to see her health fail her. Her mind was always so sharp, so I know it was hard on her too. She had always been so strong and independent and then she had to depend on others. Even on the days that I miss her so much, I wouldn't wish her back. She is with her Savior and healed and I will see her again!

As she began to get sick, we saw a change in her personality. All of the people who worked at the Nursing Home just loved her. They would take their breaks in her room, stop and visit her and always told us that she was such a joy. They never knew who she really was, but even when we thought she was at her worst, she was still blessing people.

5 comments:

Mandy said...

One of the main things I remember about her is that SHE WAS ALWAYS WILLING TO MAKE ME MAC-N-CHEESE. She never told me I ate it too much. :)

Robin Meadows said...

Well, we saw how much you loved her and her spirit shined through even in her pain. I know you still miss her.

peggy said...

That was beautiful about your mom. I never knew you could write so well. I just wished you weren't so stressed. But that is life as a teacher and as I observe you at school I can see why. You have a very full menu every day.

Lori said...

I loved her. She was always brought a smile to my face!!! I was blessed to have known her.

wayne said...

We were blessed by God to have a Mom who loved us with all her being. One of these days we will join her in Heaven. That was the most important thing to her that we would all have Jesus as our Lord and Savior. wayne