Saturday, February 16, 2008

MISSONS


Several years ago, I had the opportunity to go on a mission trip to Mexico with the Youth group from LifeChurch. We had the privilege of going to 5 orphanages and doing a lot of different projects from shoveling gravel, pouring cement, painting, digging out large rock from the soil, etc. etc. It was amazing how much strength that God gave us. We also spent time with the children who lived at the orphanages, which was a huge blessing. I was amazed how hard our kids worked and seeing them interact with the kids who lived there was such a blessing.

My favorite part of the whole trip was having a worship service for a small community who literally lived at the dump. Their homes were made from anything from cardboard boxes, to a piece of aluminum, to whatever they could find. Their homes were probably the size of our bathroom. The people who lived there had such a joy. It was a joy that we don't see much here in America. We have so much more, but always want more. I came back very thankful for what I had and very ashamed that I had ever complained about anything.

Going on a mission trip is definitely a life changing experience. Everyone should go on one. Even going on the micro-missions to the Mercy Center and helping those who are in need with food and clothing or going to the Rescue Mission and giving those who are homeless a glimpse of Christ, will change your life forever.

3 comments:

Lori said...

That missiontrip was a blast!!! I enjoyed having you go on a trip with us. I loved getting to see you in a different persective and getting to know you in a new way.
Yes, we are so blessed to live where we are and way toooo many times do I forget to be thankful.
Going on a missiontrip is my favorite way to spend my time. It is so rewarding. That is sadly the time where my life goes away and I allow God to be my life. I am like you where i worry about everything and anything. But on a mission trip the only thing i worry about is falling in love with Christ from a new perspective.

drama momma said...

So Lori....what makes you think that I worry about everything and anything...:)

Lori said...

Umm... I have grown up around you. lol