Tuesday, February 26, 2008

HOME SCHOOL MOMS AND DADS

This is to all of the Homeschool Moms (or dads) out there. How do you do it? I have been a public school teacher for 25 years. I have always taught in the Primary grades, but what do you do when you get to math and science and history in the middle school and high school years and you can't help with it????

I don't know what we would do without Steve. Steve is defintely the "homework" parent. What worked with our oldest child is totally different with our youngest. They both have different learning styles which causes a lot of frustration sometimes. Mandy's brain works like Steve's and Robby's brain works more like mine.

2 comments:

Robin Meadows said...

Well....sometimes we don't do very well (see my blog for Tuesday!)..But, the interesting thing about teaching academics at home is that we learn right along with our kids! Sometimes, my kids understand it way better than I do, so they explain it to ME! LOL Heck, I've done Algebra I so many times now, I SHOULD have it down! And another thing...these are MY kids...my responsibility. You're dealing with something much harder, something that requires LOTS more grace and talent then teaching our own at home!

I KNOW you're a GREAT teacher!

Mandy said...

It's just like learning anything new. If you jump in the middle, you won't understand it, but if you start from the beginning, it makes a lot more sense. If I had looked at what I'm doing now in Calculus at the beginning of the year I would have been overwhelmed, but because I learned a little at a time, it's not as overwhelming.