Friday, April 18, 2008

RESCUE MISSION

Last Friday, we went to the Rescue Mission. Robby is playing drums with the band. They lead a worship set and then they show a sermon from Craig, our Pastor. www.lifechurch.tv.

I was helping put out some extra chairs and one man who was sitting in the crowd ask if he could ask me a question. I said, "sure". Well, there were several questions. First, he asked what we were getting ready to do. I told him that we were going to do a worship service and then they would be showing a sermon from our church. He got a little agitated and told me we were doing it all wrong. I asked if he meant we should be doing the sermon first and then the worship. He said, "No! How many of them are up there are Christians?" I said, "I think probably all of them." He said that they were up there to be seen and it was all about them. I said, "no, I don't think so." He then proceeded to tell me that the Bible says to feed the hungry. He asked me, "how many homeless people have you fed today?" I said, "well"...and he said "see what I mean". I said, "well, there have been several times that I have." He then asked me how many God's do I think there are. I said, "one". He then asked, what about the God that the Muslims pray to?" I said that is not the One and Almighty God. They are false Gods. He said, "so you say there are other Gods!" He then got up and said, "I'm not staying in here to listen to this."

He quoted some things from the Bible, but then questioned that there were more than one God. I have thought about him several times this week and prayed that God would soften his heart and some day accept Jesus as his personal savior and that he would not be deceived any more. It really made me sad.

Every time that I have gone to the Rescue Mission before, the people who are there seem to be appreciative and want to have someone to care and listen to them.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

On Wed we talked about how people use the Bible to justify all sorts of things, even homosexuality. I guess it really just comes down to faith. God can do miraculous things, this we both know. :) way to go for defending it!

Robin Meadows said...

I know that hurt your heart. The man is deceived, sadly, and is using his "knowledge" to take the LIGHT off himself. It's so sad when people are so near to what will really set them free and won't just reach out and accept it.

Missed you Saturday night!