Wednesday, April 2, 2008

NEWBORNS

I went to the hospital today to see a new baby. There is something about a newborn. They are so precious and innocent and such a gift and blessing from God.

As I got off the elevator, I had several different emotions. I knew I was going to see a new healthy baby boy and was excited to see him. I also thought about Robby, our 15 year old, who seemed healthy and little did we know what we were going to be experiencing in the next 24 hours. He had a strep B infection and meningitis. I thought about a friend of ours who was dialated to a 5 and was put on complete bed rest for 12 weeks at the same hospital and the same floor and finally delivered 2 healthy boys. I also thought about the day that Steve's brother and sister-in-law lost their triplets on the same floor....thankful that she was okay, but so sad that we lost the triplets. My emotions were everywhere.

As we were leaving I told the other girls that I went with, that this floor can be the happiest of times or the saddest of times. I've experienced them both. We take life for granted. We need to stop and thank God for all of our blessings, even when life doesn't go as planned.

2 comments:

Robin Meadows said...

Good post, Teena. Life is full---and I guess the hard, sad parts make the good, joyful ones even sweeter.

I love that you feel things so deeply!

peggy said...

I would find it hard to go up to that floor now too. That was probably about the anniversary of the little graveside ceremony at the cemetary. Kate and I put up some little windmill type decorations on the grave the day of their birth. But I am so glad the baby was born ok that you visited. Also I am going to use a couple of your children comments in the paper I write for the addition. They are adorable.